Weight loss doesn’t have to be difficult and depressing. In fact, it should be motivational and rewarding. Here are five great tips to help ensure your experience when losing weight is a positive one.
1. Go ahead, indulge yourself! It’s just not reasonable to think you’ll be able to stick to a lifestyle of deprivation. Every now and again it’s fine to splurge and have something you really like. The trick is portion control: instead of having a three scoop monster ice cream cone, get a child’s size.
2. Eat breakfast. When your sleeping your body actually kicks into a kind of “fasting mode.” You “break the fast” when you eat breakfast (thus the name). In fact, if you can eat breakfast within an hour of getting out of bed, you may actually boost your metabolism and burn calories better throughout the day.
3. Try something new. When trying to lose weight, it’s easy to fall into a rut of eating the same foods all the time because you know they’re “safe.” But there are thousands of varieties out there that are healthy and tasty. Read the labels and try something new in the way of ethnic or exotic foods.
4. Talk to yourself. No, it doesn’t mean you’re crazy! Positive “self-talk” really does help lift your spirits and keep you motivated.
5. Take your vitamins. A good multi-vitamin will ensure your nutritional needs are being met. This is especially important if you’re on a diet plan that restricts certain kinds of foods.
The best way to lose weight is through exercise. I know because I lost 45 lbs in six months — and kept it off!