If you’re looking for a diet that will truly help you lose weight, there are many out there to choose from. If you don’t know much about the diets available you may make a choice that is totally wrong for your body. This is why it is important to learn as much as you can about a diet before you decide to try it. So, if Carbohydrate Addicts is one that you are considering, you’ll want to learn a bit more. Here is some helpful information on this diet that will help you decide whether or not it is the diet for you.
Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet Overview
The Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet is a diet that was developed by Richard Heller, MD along with his wife, Rachael Meller, MD. It was first brought to light in the early 90’s and the basic theory behind it is that many people who are dealing with weight problems are addicted to carbs. Many times this can lead to insulin levels that are very high, which can make them crave even more carbs throughout the day. This diet works to help people get away from their addiction to carbs while not totally taking them out of the diet.
People it Works Best For
Carbohydrate Addicts dieting plan, or CAD, is a great diet for those who have not found the Atkins Diet to be successful for them. If people feel that Atkins deprived them, they may find that this diet is more effective for them, since they have the ability to eat whatever they want once each day. The reward meal is definitely one of the enticing factors, which makes it a great choice for people who really have certain foods that they enjoy eating each day. The main group that this diet was developed for though, is for people who have an imbalance in the body that is known as carbohydrate addiction.
Pros and Cons
When you take a look at the Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet, you will find that there are pros and cons to the diet. You need to take a close look at them to figure out whether or not the pros outweigh the cons or if the opposite is true. Here are a few of the pros and cons of this diet to consider.
– Pro #1 – Easier than Atkins – One of the pros is that this diet is a much easier one to follow than the Atkins diet. It is not quite as extreme, which makes it easier for people to follow, which usually leads to more success.
– Pro #2 – Gets Rid of Carb Cravings – Another pro of the Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet is that it helps people to get rid of their carb cravings. This is done by the careful portions and choice of foods that are eaten each day.
– Pro #3 – Keeps Blood Sugar on a Constant Level – Since you are not eating so many carbs all the time, this diet helps you to keep your blood sugar levels on a more constant level, instead of constantly having a sugar level that goes up and down throughout the day.
– Con #1 – You May Miss Nutrients – When it comes to cons, one of the big ones is that you may miss out on some of the most important nutrients that your body really needs. Often it is hard to get the fiber and calcium that your body needs when you are on this diet.
– Con #2 – Bad for Those with High Cholesterol – Many times doctors will actually advise against this diet for people who have high cholesterol. The foods that are eaten in this diet are high in fats that are saturated, which can elevate cholesterol, so this is another con of this diet.
– Con #3 – Many People Experience Plateaus in Weight Loss – After a certain time, while people usually lose weight right away during the diet, many people end up hitting a plateau eventually and then they stop losing weight. This can also be one of the big cons to consider before you try this diet.
Foods You Can and Can’t Eat
While you are on the diet, there are foods that you can and cannot eat. During the first couple weeks of the program, two of your daily meals must be their special meals that have about 3-4 ounces of meat, 2 ounces of some type of cheese, and about two cups of salad or some type of veggies. Then, for your third meal of the day you are allowed to eat whatever you want and as much as you want, and this is called the Reward Meal. The only restriction on the Reward Meal is that you have to eat everything for the meal within one hours’ time.
Once the first two weeks are up, there are a few different plans that you can choose, depending on the weight you plan on losing after this. Some have plans that allow special snacks during the day, and the snacks are limited as well. Also, the diet requires that you drink a lot of water each day as well, which is very important.
What the Medical Community Says
When it comes to the medical community and their opinions, for the most part it is not really a favorite with the Carbohydrate Addicts diet. While obese people often show insulin resistance and high levels of insulin, usually doctors feel that obesity actually causes this. Also, most people in the medical field feel that it can be a bad diet choice because you miss out on some of the best nutrition that your body really does need if you are to lead a healthy life.
Disclaimer: Always consult your doctor before starting a diet program.