Amend a State Tax Return

Mistakes happen because we’re human and this isn’t forgotten in the world of taxes. You can file an amended state tax return within three years of the date you filed the original return or within two years of the date on which you paid the tax due on the return, whichever comes later.

Reasons why you can or should amend a tax return:

  • Your federal income wasn’t treated correctly
  • You forgot to file for a specific deduction or credit
  • You need to correct a straightforward mistake
  • Add or remove a dependant
  • Or maybe you received more tax documents in the mail after you filed
  • It’s typically advised that you should wait to amend your tax return until you’ve actually received your return or paid taxes that you owed.

    You need to print off a copy of the year’s return you wish to amend so that you can have it handy as you go to amend it. You can use form 1040X to amend forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, or 1040NR-EZ.

    Even though you cannot e-file your amended state return, you can go through the necessary actions with an online tax service like TurboTax Online. At some point you’ll be asked why you need to file an amended return which is usually one of a few common things.

    They’ll give you all of the information you need to get started on amending your tax return with their usual host of step by step tutorials. Then when you’re done you’ll print off the forms you’ve corrected and the proper address and mailing instructions will be given to you.

    To amend your return, visit TurboTax Online today.